On the way

Thursday, Dec 1st.

Big travel day. All of my stuff is packed in my large backpack and ready to go so around 9:30 I head out the few blocks to the Blue Line station and catch the train to O'Hare.

When I got the tickets to Peru using American Airlines miles, they only had standard tickets available at 60,000 miles for the round trip. The upside is that they are first class tickets, with the coveted "Priority Access."

It pays off right away at the security line as I go right through the Priority lane past all the peons, waving my special boarding pass.

Once on the plane (Priority Boarding!!) I settle into my giant seat and enjoy a chilled juice in a real glass while waiting for the rest of the peasants to file into the plane. Once we take off I enjoy a hot towel, drinks, snacks and a real lunch, and we're in Miami before I know it.


It's overcast and "only" about 70 here; the natives are walking around all bundled in coats and scarves. It was about 32 when I left Chicago so I sit outside for awhile enjoying the weather.

Back on the plane for the long flight to Lima. It's 5 hours 35 minutes and nothing to see out the window, just clouds and darkness. Again, more drinks, snacks, a real dinner on actual plates help pass the time quickly.

Peru time is the same as US Eastern and the plane lands just at midnight. I get through passport control and pick up my backpack, then at customs the red light goes off when I press the button so all of my stuff has to go through a giant xray scanner. The LAN Peru counter is open and they check in my backpack for Cusco, so I don't need to lug it around for the next few hours.

After wandering through all of the stores still open and the food court (Papa John's, McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts) I find my way to the gate for my flight to Cusco later on. I'm still sipping a giant Papa John's drink when I come up to security but they just wave me through.


I had figured on just catching a nap at the airport before the morning flight and this is the perfect spot. Local flights don't start until around 7 and there are a few other people with the same idea so I find a row of seats and settle in.